Friday, September 23, 2011
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Most free-roaming dogs belong to an ancient canine race known as the pariah dog, which has existed all over Asia and Africa ever since human beings started living in settlements. They are scavengers–that is, they live on garbage created by humans. In India the breed has existed for perhaps 14,000 years or more. In addition to scavenging, they are widely kept as pets by rural and urban slum households.
Part of the urban stray population consists of mongrels or mix-breeds–descended from pure-breed dogs that have been allowed to interbreed with pariahs.
The size of stray dog populations always corresponds to the size and character of the human population of the area. Urban India has two features which create and sustain stray dog populations:
1) Large amounts of exposed garbage, which provide an abundant source of food.
2) A huge population of slum and street-dwellers, who often keep the dogs as free-roaming pets.
Mumbai has over 12 million human residents, of whom over half are slum-dwellers. At least 500 tons of garbage remain uncollected daily. Therefore, conditions are perfect for supporting a particularly large population of stray dogs.The problem:
Rabies can be a fatal disease which can be transmitted to humans. Although all placental mammals can get and transmit rabies, dogs are one the most common carriers. India has the highest number of human rabies deaths in the world (estimated at 35,000 per year).
Dog bites can occur when dogs are trying to mate or fighting among themselves. Pedestrians and other humans in the vicinity may be bitten by the fighting dogs. Females with pups are often protective and may bite people who approach their litter.
Most states in India have been killing stray dogs for decades. The idea came from ‘developed countries’ without understanding the very different urban conditions in India. India has rubbish dumps and slum areas, which attract strays. Dogs removed are easily replaced.
When a dog is taken away:
· His territory becomes vacant and dogs from around move in to occupy the area.
· Dogs continue to multiply, so the areas are soon filled again.
· Dog fights increase, because each time a new dog enters an area he is attacked by the dogs already in there.
· During dog fights many humans get accidentally bitten.
· Rabies spreads to humans, due to no vaccination programs of strays
· Rabies continues to spread because the dog-catchers are reluctant to pick up a rabid dog – so only healthy dogs get killed.
The effective solution is a methodical Sterilization, vaccination, adoption, education and clean living. Educating and reaching people about sterilization of not only stray dogs, but pets to control the population, educating about living in balance wit the dogs and extending compassion.ABC Animal birth control scheme set up by the Indian government to control the dog population by sterilization as opposed to the traditional method of killing dogs.
- There is a big imbalance between the human dog peaceful existence in India. The apathy and lack of compassion will always lead to mass culling getting accepted as a normal thing.
- It is generally accepted that many of the free-roaming dogs in Indian cities and towns(urban) are actually mix-breeds (mongrels), though some certainly look more "mixed" than others. Pure Pariah and native dogs are more common in rural and remote areas where there are no Eurobreeds or other types of dog to interbreed with.
- There are 30 million strays in India. A good sterilization, vaccination implementation will reduce the occurrence and hence fear of rabies. Some additional compassion outreach, adoption and volunteer encouragement will help change the outlook towards strays.
Saturday, September 17, 2011
On their website you will find amazing animals and dedicated volunteers from all over the world working together with Animal Aid’s staff who serve fallen angels with tenderness, respect, and joy. Animal Aid’s purpose is to both bring relief to suffering animals, and to awaken compassion among people. Showing everyone a path for action. They have emergency rescue hotline and a sanctuary for the disabled animals as well."
We didnt realize where the 2 hours went. Usually, I freeze and speak minimally when new people visit me. But I was yapping away this time even though my balance was a bit off. We discussed about their organization, some others like Karuna Society and Visakha SPCA and the work of FIAPO(Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organizations). Among these orgs, they handle all sorts of things from helping one abuse case of a pet or a stray to rescuing, treating and providing a sanctuary to any animal from cows, dogs to donkeys, Or reaching out to the community with a message of compassion, about treating animals as sentient beings, about veganism, about the abuse at dairy and meat industry and more. They work on legislation or campaigns to help any animal problems as caged birds, stray dogs and cats, to stopping establishment of big factory farms and automated slaughter houses. Wildlife protection, sacrifices, animal birth control programs, Vegan meals for the poor, ban on plastic bags, you name it and one of these organizations is already working on it. And still there is so much to be done, so many campaigns to support, and continuous and collective effort to be made.
Just a short discussion about these kind of issues helps put things in perspective. Whether you are a compassionate person or not, a vegan or not, you are still a human, capable of evaluating and understanding. You can think and know, about the pain and suffering around you. You can, take a little time, find something small to do, and make a difference:).
More about the organizations mentioned here.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
- Fund raising in creative ways!
- Spread the message about Veganism, because I cannot be a speciesist anymore, I cannot pet and love an animal(dogs) and eat some others!. Here's my vegan food blog where I put up yummylicious, creative as welll as day-today food options and recipes.
- Help connect people who want pets with the available pets all over the country!
Saturday, June 4, 2011
This Sale has now moved to ebay
- Please leave a comment on this post, or email email@example.com, for the items you want and I will get back to you on first come first serve basis.
- Once the item has been assigned to you, please paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org or if local, then cash on pickup or delivery.
- Once we receive the transfer online, we will ship the items out.
- If local, Pick up is in Seattle (98121), close to Sculpture park. Delivery available near downtown Seattle. Please pay cash.
- Shipping cost within US updated for each item. Online Paypal to email@example.com .
- You can also bid for an item(please atleast half the cost mentioned). Comment on this post or on our facebook page. The items if left will hit ebay in 2 weeks.